Having a swimming pool in your backyard certainly has many advantages, and it is rewarding to create unforgettable moments with family and friends. However, in order to have clean and healthy water in your pool, you need to check the water quality regularly. Owning a swimming pool is challenging due to all maintaining aspects.
The imbalance of the pool chemistry, more precisely, low chlorine levels, leads to algae and bacteria growth, and the water turns green over time. Unbalanced alkalinity levels directly impact the pH levels, which ultimately leads to erosion.
In addition to that, hard water clogs the pipes and filter. In order to prevent damage and water contamination, you need to test your water regularly. On the market, there are various pool testing kits that will help you maintain ideal ranges in your pool water:
- Total alkalinity: 80 to 140 ppm
- pH: 7.2 to 7.6
- Chlorine: 1 to 3 ppm
- Cyanuric acid: 25 to 50 ppm
- Calcium hardness: 200 to 400
We have done the boring job for you: we have selected the best pool testing kits so that you can test the levels in your pool water with minimum effort.
- Top 10 Pool Testing Kits
- 1. Taylor Technologies inc K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chlorine FAS-DPD
- 2. Poolmaster Pool and Spa Essential Collection Chemistry Case
- 3. WWD POOL Swimming Pool Test Kit for Chlorine and Ph Test
- 4. JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips
- 5. pHin Smart Water Care Monitor for Spas, Hot Tubs & Pools
- 6. HTH 6-Way Test Kit Swimming Pools Chemical Tester
- 7. Bluelab PENPH pH Pen Fully Waterproof Pocket Tester
- 8. Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit
- 9. U.S. Pool Supply Standard 3-Way Swimming Pool
- 10. RUNBO Pool Test Strips 7-in-1 (100 Count)
- Bottom line
Top 10 Pool Testing Kits
1. Taylor Technologies inc K-2006 Test Kit Comp Chlorine FAS-DPD
- Provides accurate results
- Easy to use
- Complete Service Drop Test Kit: FASDPD bromine test for acid-base demand, total alkalinity, and calcium hardness
- It can be used for salt pools
- PH test often is difficult to read
- The test kit may not contain all the tests shown
If you are looking for a kit that works as advertised, the TAYLOR K-2006 TEST KIT is the product you need. In only several minutes, you can check the combined/total chlorine levels, calcium hardness, pH, alkalinity, and Cyanuric acid in your pool. This testing kit contains CYA tests to test the water in your pool six times, but if you order reagent, you can test the water with this kit unlimited times. It is worth mentioning that the TAYLOR K-2006 kit contains a DPD Powder for Chlorine testing. This type of testing provides more accurate measurements on free chlorine compared to a liquid reagent.
This testing kit has waterproof printed instructions on the lid, which is quite helpful when testing the water. Also, a book with a detailed explanation of pool chemistry will help you better understand this topic. On their website, you can find helpful videos about how to perform the testing of the water in your pool.
Probably the best part about this kit is the fact that you can use it for testing saltwater pools, as well.
2. Poolmaster Pool and Spa Essential Collection Chemistry Case
Poolmaster Water Chemistry Case (22270) Premiere Collection 5-Way Swimming Pool & Spa Test Kit, Small, Neutral
- Tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand, and Total Alkalinity>
- Easy-to-read indicator panel
- Clear-view test block
- Easy to check chlorine levels
- Provide accurate results
- When testing chlorine, the color varies from light yellow to darkening yellow, which makes it difficult to read the exact number.
Poolmaster is the leading manufacturer of aftermarket pool and spa products, and the Water testing kits are another amazing product this company offers. Regardless if you opt for a 22260 or 22270 testing kit, you will get tests for Chlorine, Bromine, pH, Acid Demand, and Total Alkalinity in your pool water. This testing kit will help you maintain proper water chemistry super fast and easily. It offers straightforward and true reading and easy color matching.
Both 22260 and 22270 testing kits come with built-in color chips for a clear front readout in a polyethylene case. It is important to mention that the embossed markings are featured on the front, while the BROMINE testing readouts are located on the backside.
If you choose to buy the 22270 Premiere Collection, you will get a DELUXE ACRYLIC test block that will provide you crystal clear readings, so you won’t be confused whether the water in your pool is safe and healthy. There are integrated color chips that provide an accurate reading.
So, if you are looking for a budget-friendly testing kit, the Poolmaster kits are the product you need.
3. WWD POOL Swimming Pool Test Kit for Chlorine and Ph Test
- 2-way test: Test for OTO, CL, and PH Level
- Accurate measuring scale
- Easy to use
- Chlorine levels are difficult to read
This 2-way pool water test kit offers quick and accurate results, and it is super easy to use. In order to test the water in your pool, all you need to do is to fill each tube with pool water, then add 4 drops of the solution (depending on which levels you want to check), then put the tube caps on, shake and check the reading on the scale. Although there isn’t a solution for bromine levels, you can still check those levels simply by multiplying the chlorine test result by 2.25.
This testing kit is perfect for those who are looking to check the basic PH and Chlorine levels. The instructions are easy to follow, and the results are accurate.
4. JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips
- Tests for 6 parameters: total hardness, bromine, free chlorine, total chlorine, pH & total alkalinity
- Ideal for an in-between check-up when you don’t have time for the drop testing
- Great price for quality
- Super easy to use
- E-book with explanations of results and how to keep your water clean
- Total chlorine test is hard for reading (0-1000 scale, hard to read a number under 50)
- After opening the container, you need to use the strips within 90 days.
If you are looking for a product to monitor the quality of the pool water on a daily basis, don’t hesitate to buy the JNW Direct Pool and Spa Test Strips. In less than 1 minute (about 32 seconds on average), you can assess the water quality in your spa, hot tub, fresh, and saltwater pool. These strips are extremely easy to use: dip the strip and compare your result with a large waterproof color chart on the bottle. The range marked on the bottle is precise, so you can maintain the pool water quality effortlessly.
A bonus-free mobile app will help you monitor, record, and track the results and get ultimate accuracy. Best part? It is available for IOS and Android.
5. pHin Smart Water Care Monitor for Spas, Hot Tubs & Pools
- 24/7 monitors the water and automatically alerts you when it’s time to add chemicals
- Automatic App Notifications
- Works with chlorine, bromine, and salt water-based hot tubs, pools, and spas
- Measures pH, sanitizer level, and temperature over 1000 times a week
- Award-Winning Technology
- Super easy to use
- Scanning chemicals often don’t work
- Strips for total alkalinity, total hardness, and cyanuric acid are expensive.
The pHin smart water monitor is the simplest product for measuring the temperature, sanitizer, and pH levels in your pool, hot tub, or spa. This product measures these levels more than 1000 times weekly, then analyzes the data and creates a recommendation for your phone. Isn’t that great? Depending on the water’s quality, this smart device automatically will alert you when to adjust the chemicals in your pool. In fact, you will get precise suggestions of how much of which pool chemicals to use.
Instead of bothering to change the raw readings, the pHin monitor has built-in intelligence that creates customized recommendations for your pool or hot tub’s unique measurements.
Along with the smart monitor, you will get strips to test your water’s cyanuric acid, total hardness, and total alkalinity levels. You will get a report with information on your Android or iOS phone. The best part about this monitor is its lifetime warranty.
6. HTH 6-Way Test Kit Swimming Pools Chemical Tester
- Tests chlorine, bromine, pH, alkalinity, calcium hardness, and CYA
- Test weekly up to 100 times with only one kit
- Compatible with all pool types
- You can read the results within few seconds
- Easy to use
- Cannot test calcium hardness
- Color pads on the test strips may be inconsistent and inexact
If you are a new pool owner, the HTH 6-way swimming pool test kit is the product you need. It is cheap and super easy to use. With the help of this 6-way kit, you can quickly and easily test the levels of total chlorine, bromine, pH, total alkalinity, total hardness, and cyanuric acid (CYA) of your pool’s water. This test kit works with all types of swimming pools: chlorine, bromine, and saltwater pools.
You can use this kit to test the water in your pool two-three times a week. It is essential to store the kit in a cool, dark place and replace it every year. Also, for accurate results, you need to rinse the cells before and after each test.
How to use it:
- Take the test cells and dip them about 18 inches below the surface of the pool water.
- Dispense the solution in drops while holding the indicator solution bottle vertically.
- Shake well to mix.
- Hold the cells up in outdoor light (preferably) or to a neutral background.
- Match the color of the sample with the standard and read the pH.
- Read the kit directions to read the Total Alkalinity, Calcium Hardness, and Cyanuric Acid (CYA) level.
7. Bluelab PENPH pH Pen Fully Waterproof Pocket Tester
- One of the best pH pens: super-fast, accurate, reliable, and durable
- Measures pH in solution for acid or alkaline
- Provides lab quality
- It can be used for pools, drinking water, hydroponics, as well as brewing and growing.
- Often it is not consistent.
- You need to additionally buy calibration solution, cleaning solution, and hydration solution.
The Bluelab PENPH is the ultimate handy solution for measuring pH in water. This innovative pen measures pH in solution for acid or alkaline conditions, and you get precise readings. With the lab-quality glass probe, you can use this pen for your pool, as well as drinking water, hydroponics, brewing, and growing. Users claim that this is the most accurate pen for measuring pH in the water.
The PENPH has auto temperature compensation, LDC display, and calibration reminders, making it a handy tool for every pool owner or anyone who wants to check their water.
Additional features of the PENPH are auto-off function, low battery indicator, and units for temperature.
If you buy this product, you will get a one-year limited warranty.
8. Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Pool & Spa Test Kit
- Includes tests for total chlorine, bromine, and pH
- It can be used for pool or spa water
- Fast daily chlorine and pH testing
- Provides accurate results
- Low cost
- Sometimes indicates a very high chlorine level
- Only tests for Total Chlorine, not Free Chlorine
If you are looking for a budget-friendly testing kit for total chlorine, bromine, and pH, the Taylor K-1000 Basic Residential Test Kit is the product you need. By purchasing this kit, you will get tests for total chlorine (0.5-5 ppm), bromine (1-10 ppm), and pH (6.8-8.2 ppm).
According to users of this testing kit, the K-1000 is the best kit for a super low price. You can test the water in your pool and spa. The colors of the test windows are sharp, and the color markings are accurate, so you can easily compare the results after putting the adequate drops. You will instantly get the results, and the kit includes enough material for more than 100 tests.
9. U.S. Pool Supply Standard 3-Way Swimming Pool
- Tests Chlorine, Bromine, and chemical pH levels
- Great colors which are accessible for comparison
- Very easy to use
- The inner plastic becomes blurry/ collects condensation
- Shades of yellow for chlorine are not accurate
With the U.S. Pool Supply Standard 3-Way Swimming Test Kit, you will get a professional 3-day testing kit that will help you determine the levels of Chlorine, Bromine, and pH in your swimming pool and spa. By buying this testing kit, you will get a polyethylene case. Inside, there are 1/2 ounce dropper bottles of OTO (Orthotolidine) Chlorine Test Solution and a 1/2 ounce dropper bottle of Phenol Red pH Test Solution.
This testing kit is super simple and easy to use and provides an accurate measuring scale. In addition to that, there are integrated color markings for the chemical levels. With the help of a user guide and the clear view water testing block, you can effortlessly check the chemical levels.
How to use it:
- Fill each tube with water from your pool/ spa.
Add 5 drops of the solution into the corresponding test tube.
- Close the tubes.
- Shake well to mix and check the reading of Chloride, Bromine, and pH readings.
The testing kit contains enough material for more than 50 test readings.
10. RUNBO Pool Test Strips 7-in-1 (100 Count)
- 7 PARAMETERS in 1 STRIP: Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, Total Hardness, Total Alkalinity, pH, and Cyanuric Acid
- Ideal for Swimming Pools, Spa, Hot Tub, Jacuzzi
- Provide quick results
- Easy to use
- Worth the price
- Strips sometimes show inaccurate results (if expired/ out of date)
- Results show up patchy
If you are looking for a multipurpose product that is budget-friendly and easy to use, the RUNBO pool test strips are the perfect choice for you. The 7-in-1 tests strips are super simple to use and provide quick and accurate results. With only one strip, you can check seven parameters: Free Chlorine, Total Chlorine, Bromine, Total Hardness, Total Alkalinity, pH, and Cyanuric Acid and get an instant and reliable result. These strips are ideal for swimming pools, spas, hot tubs, and jacuzzi.
How to use the strips:
- Take one strip and dip it in the water for 2 seconds.
- Remove the strip, make sure to hold it horizontally, and wait for 30 seconds.
- Compare the colors with the color chart on the bottle and get accurate readings of your water quality.
Thanks to the no-bleed technique, you will get precise results for each test.
The best part is that you get 100 strips in two bottles (50 strips in each bottle). The strips are sealed in a moisture-proof foil bag so that you can use the strips for up to 2 years.
In order to get the best results, it is essential to test the quality of the water at least two times a week.
Regardless of whether you own a pool, spa, salt water-based hot tubs, or any other swimming pool type, it is essential to test the water regularly to get balanced pool water chemistry. For best results, experts recommend testing the pool water at least twice a week, particularly at the beginning of the pool season, thus getting clean and healthy water. Besides contaminated water is unsafe for your health, an imbalance of the pool water can damage your pool, the pump, the heater system, or even the material of your pool.
We have carefully selected the 10 best pool testing kits and simplified choosing a user-friendly testing kit. Make sure to select the testing kit that suits your needs and fits your budget. You can choose between testing kits that include tests for a wide range of conditions or kits with specialized tests. Regarding test results, liquid and digital tests provide more reliable results, but at the same time, require some practice and are difficult to use. If you are looking for super easy tests to use and provide fast results, strips are the product you need.
We hope this detailed review will provide you all the necessary information and help you decide which testing kit is the best choice for you.